When authorising a refund, keep in mind these 3 important points:
Find the refund;
- You first need to find the person's Order;
Pro Tip: It may be easier to find the specific registration or membership since it will be in the participant's name & email (whereas the order is in the "purchaser's" name); In the registration or membership details page, click the View Order button halfway down the page to open the Order Details.
- Select the registrant's order. In the Order Details, there is a Transaction summary at the bottom, where there is Refund button.
Issue the Refund;
The top of the Refund Details page will be a brief summary of the values of the original transaction. Who paid what.
To refund an item (registration, product, membership, etc.) you need to;
- Single-item orders will default “open”, but for refunds with multiple items you'll need to "include" or "activate" an item by clicking the green button Include the Item. You will see a brief description of what the item is directly next to the button. If you're refunding more than one item be sure to "include" each item in the refund or else it will not be included in this refund.
- Select a new status for the item. Either keep it as Complete (no change to current statistics & reports) or Refunded (this will cancel the item and remove it from your statistics & reports).
You can also change the value of the amount to be refunded. By default the system will populate the maximum amount refundable - 100%. For partial refunds of (50%, 75%, etc.) you will need to figure out what that amount is and change the amount to be refunded.
Enter a specific dollar value ($50, $100, etc.). Note this is the pre-tax amount if you were charging taxes on the item. If taxes are applicable, they will be automatically calculated and added to the net refund.
- Select who is paying the original CCN transaction fee (user / organiser)
- Select who is paying the CCN refund fee (user / organiser)
- Enter your name in the "requested by" field (for back-tracking and auditing purposes)
- Indicate if you want an automated notification email to be sent to the user and / or the organiser (you) with details concerning the refund. By default we will be sending a notification to the user, but this can be deactivated.
- Enter any custom notes you may want to include concerning the refund. This can be a description of the refund circumstance, etc. These notes will appear in the refund report.
Once steps 1,2,3, and 4 above are satisfied, you'll see the blue table Amount to be Refunded will populate all the values of the refund. These values are dynamic and will change on the fly if you play with the different settings or change the Refund Amount. The Net Refund amount in this table will be what is going to be returned to the cardholder.
When you're happy with everything, click the blue "Submit Refund" button found in the bottom-right corner to submit the refund.
Once a refund is processed, it generally takes 5-7 business days to full process back to the purchaser's credit card.